Friday, April 1, 2011

Do You Not Know?

As I've mentioned in previous blog posts, one of my pastors is doing a sermon series on hope, and for the past few weeks he has focused on the necessary aspect of hope that includes waiting. Isaiah 40 is one of the most beautiful passages in scripture about what reasons we have to wait on God in hope.

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40: 30-31)

(The word above translated "hope" can equally be translated "wait": but those who wait on the LORD will renew their strength.)

This is preceded by a whole chapter of reasons why we can wait on God with confidence.

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. (Isaiah 40:28).

Juxtaposed to our circumstances is a God who is creator, re-creator, redeemer, and sustainer. He will not grow tired or weary. This portrayal of God brought my attention to the end of the book of Job, where we also have a description of God's might and strength, which remain true and constant despite the tragic condition of Job's life at the time. In the midst of his circumstances, knowing what he knows of God, Job is still able to say at one point "I know that my redeemer lives" (Job 19:25).

This song took a while to write. I had the chorus early on, but it took a bit of finagling for me to get a verse rhythm and melody that I liked. I also had the words for the first verse fairly quickly, mainly because they come out of the primary passage of the song, Isaiah 40. It wasn't until a few weeks later that my mind was drawn to Job's story, which provided the content for the second verse.

-----
Verse 1: Em Bm7 C G - G/F#
Do you not know? Have you not heard?
He sits enthroned o'er the earth
Nations are dust, men are as grass
Em Bm7 C
But He is of infinite worth
D C D C (Am7sus)
Who can compare to my God
Sovereign and mighty to save

Chorus: Em C G D/F#
Those who wait for Him
Will renew their strength
And those who wait for Him
Will rise up on wings
And those who hope in Him
They will run and not...
Am7
grow faint
Dsus
On You, O God, we wait

Verse 2:
Who told the seas, "Thus far and no more"?
Who drew the lines of the shore?
Who made Orion shine in the night?
Who but the Lord of all lords
Here in His shadow I wait
I know my redeemer lives, and...

No comments:

Post a Comment