Monday, August 29, 2011

Contented (Psalm 131)

I wanted to write a song, based on Psalm 131, that expressed a simple, contented affection for God. Psalm 131 is a beautiful picture of contentment, like that of a child who has been fed and satisfied, who rests in the arms of his mother without a care.

"I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me..."

There are times to think about lofty things and to search out the mysteries of life and faith, and then there are times to rest in contentment, knowing that God is God and we are not, that God's wisdom surpasses ours, and we can rest in knowing He is with us and He cares for us.

At the end of a day, as I slip off to sleep, I want to know that sort of contentment.

-----
Chords throughout: E B/D# C#m7 A
Verse:
My eyes are not haughty
My heart is not proud
And all that concerns me
Is loving You now

Here in the quiet
Under your wings
I am contented
Simply to sing

Chorus:
I love you
I want you
I love you
Jesus, I do

2 comments:

  1. My brother just shared your website with me...your gentle melody combined with the calming love from the words of Psm. 131 create a powerful gift. What a lovely way to START the day too.

    ReplyDelete